This cover to Jane Austen’s Emma has been short-listed by the V&A in the “Book Jacket and Cover” category for its 2012 Illustration Awards. The cover was designed by Petra Borner and published by Bonnier in 2011.
The Swedish paperback series Albert Bonniers klassiker has long been around. But the entire series has gotten a facelift with graphic designer Petra Börner’s new covers to Jane Austin’s Emma, Hjlmar Söderberg’s The Serious Game, Marguerite Duras’ The Lover and John Fowle’s The French Lieutenant’s Woman. The books are published by sister publisher Bonnier Pocket and the theme is romance. And with the new release, the publisher has started a campaign in social media that’s already shown results.
[from the Bonnier website]
I shall forgive them for the misspelling of “Austin’s” name, because the cover is so lovely… but really, the publisher’s website has this wrong??!
- You can read about it and the other nominations here at It’s Nice That website, and here at Design Week.
- The V&A 2012 Illustration Awards
- The V&A Illustration Awards – previous years
- Petra Borner’s book covers on her website
- the Bonnier Pocket Classics facebook page