Some tidbits for this week:
- Our own Janeite Mae sent me the following about a downloadable walking tour of Jane Austen’s Bath… if you have an MP3 player, you are all set! (it says it is compatible with iTunes, and hopefully that is the case….usually us ipod users are out of luck with these free downloads…) The website for Jane Austen’s Bath has much on the City and JA’srelationship to it…. information on events, sites and tours, etc. and many interesting links [this link is now also in our sidebar under “Regency & Georgian England”]
- At Austenprose, Laurel Ann pens a fine review of Mr. Darcy’s Diary by Maya Slater, with several comments questioning the need for Darcy’s roguish behavior…..do you want YOUR Darcy “tumbling the maid”?
- Mrs. Elton Sez (a.k.a. Diana Birchall) has a new advice column entry at Jane Austen Today...
- And our usual thanks to Ms. Place at Jane Austen’s World for sending me off to the Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire Gossip Guide and the Marie Antoinette Gossip Guide, both filled with all sorts of 18th-century info…
- At Austenblog see the link “Is Tony Blair Wickham?” and this week’s Daily Mail rant picturing Gordon Brown as various literary characters….too funny, so thanks Mags!
- A review of “Jane Austen’s Guide to Dating” http://readingoutside.blogspot.com/2008/07/36-jane-austens-guide-to-dating.html
- The JASNA New Jersey Chapter poses the question: Ten Words: Yes, just ten words. Please think of ten words we think best describe Jane Austen and her works. I see no comments at this point, so let’s think on this one and participate!…
- an old article from The Guardian, but always useful to have a list of books to read…this one includes “Northanger Abbey” (and is therefore a fine list!) see at http://www.guardian.co.uk:80/books/2002/may/23/bestbooks.comics
- A “Rethinking Jane Austen Blog” at http://rethinkingjaneausten.wordpress.com:80/2008/07/23/welcome-to-the-rethinking-jane-austen-course-blog/ A group blog devoted to critically exploring ‘popular’ responses to Jane Austen’s works. By students in the English Program at La Trobe University, Australia. Guests are welcome to join the discussion.
- More news on Pride & Prejudice, the Musical, to open in Rochester NY in October at: http://www.prweb.com/releases/Broadway/JaneAusten/prweb1128704.htm and for more information on the play see http://www.prideandprejudicebroadway.com/
- The new site JaneAusten.org has a Pemberley desktop wallpaper you can save on your computer.
- here’s another blog about Jane Austen: http://thejaneaustenproject.blogspot.com:80/
- and another Jane Austen in Portuguese, currently with a critique of the P&P movie adaptations with great pictures (in Portuguese of course!)