…if adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad…
–Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
Off to the AGM in Chicago…will post on the many adventures upon my return…!
But before I depart, here are a few items worth sharing:
*JASNA has posted online the book reviews in its Summer News issue; there are reviews for the following books (this is great resource for book reviews: scroll down for other issues)
- Cambridge Edition of Sense and Sensibility
- The Letters of Mrs Lefroy: Jane Austen’s Beloved Friend [by our very own Janeite Kelly!]
- The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen and Mrs. Elton in America
- Governess: The Lives and Times of the Real Jane Eyres
- Jane Austen’s Philosophy of the Virtues
*Want to go back in time? here is an article with some sobering insights on real life in the past we so hanker for: “Back in the Good Old Days”at WalesOnline.
*JASNA is looking for someone to draw a map of Bath in Austen’s time for their online collection of maps… for more information see the Central New Jersey JASNA Chapter blog.
*On the Janeites discussion group, there was a post with the following quizzes, all Austen-related:
*See this travel blog that treks in search of Darcy, with many pictures of Chatsworth and other sites relating to P&P.
*The Independent reports of the “re-invention” of High Tea and Afternoon Tea in London and environs as a way to fill up at less the cost….and in grand style!