Laurel Ann at Austenprose announces her latest month-long immersion ~ this time it’s all about Georgette Heyer! The celebration starts August 1st, to include an interview with Deb Werksman of Sourcebooks Casablanca, thirty-four book reviews penned by various guest bloggers [including yours truly], fabulous giveaways, and invigorating chat on the Queen of Regency Romance. If you haven’t picked up any of your Heyer books lately, now is the chance to revisit her; if you have never read a Heyer, this is a perfect time to start, as in right now – you are in for a treat! Don’t risk being be a cloth-headed clodpole – join in the fun and participate!
Further Reading: [see my previous post on Faro’s Daughter, my very first Heyer, and so a favorite]
- Sourcebooks Georgette Heyer Page
- NEW: listen to Helen Simonsen, author of the must-read Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, on her love of Heyer on NPR
Reference Sources, books:
- Georgette Heyer’s Regency World, by Jennifer Kloester [2005, already out-of-print; newly published by Sourcebooks]
- Georgette Heyer’s Regency England, by Teresa Chris [London, 1989] ~ impossible to find at an affordable price.
- The Regency Companion, by Sharon Laudermilk and Teresa L. Hamlin [Garland 1989] – ditto
- The Private World of Georgette Heyer, by Jane Aiken Hodge  ~ the biography, available from used bookshops.
- Georgette Heyer: A Critical Retrospective, by Mary Fahnestock-Thomas [PrinnyWorld Press, 2001] ~ includes Heyer’s short published pieces, reveiws of her books, obituaries and responses, and critical articles and books – an indispensible resource.
Further Reading: online
- The Georgette Heyer Website
- A Regency Lexicon, where you will find a dictionary and thesaurus about all things Regency
- Biographical and bibliographical note on Georgette Heyer at Michael Sims’ “A Book for all Reasons” site; includes a list of all Heyer’s works in chronological order with cover illustrations
- The Georgette Heyer Challenge Blog” join the blog author’s challenge to read all of Heyer’s works or at least some, or maybe even only one… and review and comment if you would like
- A Regency Bookshelf, where all Heyer’s works are listed
- The Georgette Heyer Mailing List (by Eileen Kendall), full of information and resources, including links to the Regency Ring sites, Heyer’s cant and slang terms, a bibliography of non-fiction resources about Heyer and the Regency period (this list seems to have not been updated since 2003)
- Austenfans on Georgette Heyer ~ the Sourcebooks site on Austen and other Regency authors
- A Gallery of Heyer Images (by Laurie Osborne) has images of the cover art of all original editions
- Georgette Heyer at Wikipedia.
- BBC Edited Guide on Georgette Heyer (August 2002)
- FantasticFiction.co.uk site on Georgette Heyer
- “An Appreciation of Georgette Heyer” by Jay Dixon