The Governor’s House in Hyde Park will be hosting another Jane Austen event this coming weekend August 13 -15, 2010 ~ topic is Sense and Sensibility.
Jane Austen Weekend: Sense & Sensibility
The Governor’s House in Hyde Park
Friday to Sunday, August 13-15, 2010
Reservations are required!
A leisurely weekend of literary-inspired diversions has something for every Jane Austen devoteé. Slip quietly back into Regency England in a beautiful old mansion. Take afternoon tea. Listen to Mozart. Bring your needlework. Share your thoughts at a discussion of Sense & Sensibility and how the movies stand up to the book. Attend the talk entitled ~ “Making Sense of Jane Austen’s World” * ~ Test your knowledge of Sense & Sensibility and the Regency period and possibly take home a prize. Take a carriage ride. For the gentleman there are riding and fly fishing as well as lots of more modern diversions if a whole weekend of Jane is not his cup of tea. Join every activity or simply indulge yourself quietly all weekend watching the movies. Dress in whichever century suits you. It’s not Bath, but it is Hyde Park and you’ll love Vermont circa 1800.
* “Making Sense of Jane Austen’s World” – Inn owner Suzanne Boden will be talking on the architecture, furnishings and other decorative arts of the Regency Period; Deb Barnum of JASNA-Vermont [yours truly] will be talking about travel in the late 18th and early 19th century – the horse and carriage era – and how Austen’s characters travelled in Sense & Sensibility – [and there is a lot of moving about in this book!]
*Or come for just an afternoon or evening and choose from these activities:
- Informal Talk with Coffee and Dessert, Friday, 8:00 p.m., $14.00
- Afternoon Tea, Saturday, 3:00 p.m., $20.00
- Book Discussion and Dinner, Saturday, 7:00 p.m., $35.00
- Jane Austen Quiz and Sunday Brunch, Sunday, 11:30 a.m., $15.00
- All four activities: $75.00
**If you cannot make this weekend, make a note on your calendars of the following dates as well:
series 3: Sense and Sensibility
Friday evening talk: Making Sense of the Regency World
Friday – Sunday, September 10 – 12, 2010
Friday – Sunday, January 7 – 9, 2011
and for your 2011 calendar:
series 4: Persuasion
Friday evening talk: Captain Wentworth’s Royal Navy
Friday – Sunday, January, 28 – 30, 2011
[other dates TBA]