Wishing you all a very Happy New Year, with gratitude to all for your visits, your comments, and your discussions of all things Jane! ~ Thank you for including Jane Austen in Vermont in your daily blog surfing! Welcome to 2021!
Today in Jane Austen’s life: [from the JASNA-Wisconsin “A Year with Jane Austen” calendar, and The Chronology of Jane Austen and Her Family, by Deirdre Le Faye, Cambridge, 2006]
- 1797: Henry Austen marries his cousin Eliza de Feuillide, by special license.
- 1787: Cousins Edward and Jane Cooper, now aged 17 and 16 respectively, come to stay at Steventon for the New Year holidays.
- 1792: Ann Martel is baptized at Steventon; entry in register is probably in Jane Austen’s hand.
- 1795: James Austen buys a mahogany tea-board for Deane.
- 1799: Jane is at Deane for the christening of James Edward Austen Leigh; she writes the entry in the parish register.
- 1801: James and Mary Lloyd Austen come to Steventon to dine.
- 1812: Princess Charlotte of Wales writes to Miss Mercer Elphinstone that she intends to read Sense and Sensibility soon.
[Vintage Postcard: Gold Medal Art, n.d.]
Happy New Year, too, Deb. Thanks for these facts. May we see each other in person again. Perhaps in NZ?